lagosisland
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bible Study
Bible Study EmptyMon Jan 22, 2018 8:02 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 DiscussionForums
 FAQ

April 2024
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Bible Study

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Bible Study Empty Bible Study

will be transferring some bible study material here.

Question: Why did God talk about the fulfillment of Joseph’s destiny and not the process?

interesting question which requires some thought.

Joseph was a leader sent for a period of financial and economic crisis

what I find very interesting about the story of Joseph is the fact that he had something in him which others tried their best to stamp out. True, he did rub people the wrong way no matter what he did [from his brothers to potiphar's wife- the only person he didnt offend was the pharaoh, strangely enough].

however, there was a strong factor in him [dont know if it can be called his destiny], which kept on propelling him towards where he would be of maximum use, although he had to get there through despair, imprisonment, etc.

and obviously, the folks around him couldnt see this [not an excuse for anyone to have grandiose delusions though], and simply wanted him to be mundane. This was something he just couldnt do since even as a slave he was still chased and sexually harassed by potiphar's wife.[Although in her defence, we dont know if she routinely slept with random fellows and slaves. That's quite possible perhaps. But then why would potiphar be so upset?]

And even as a slave, he still rose to be the most trusted one in potiphar's household.Likewise even in jail he still became prominent due to what he had within him, ie his character or destiny i suppose. Which could be interpreted as an avenue for God's plan to manifest in his life.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
Admin
Admin

https://lagosisland.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

Bible Study :: Comments

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:38 am  Admin

another thing about joseph was he did have some character flaws.

most especially the problem of talking too much, or blurting out things without considering the impact or effect it would have on others.

his two dreams are examples of this. His openness and talkativeness were some of the things that made his brothers dislike him so badly, and the last straw was their father's favouritism.

now, by the time Joseph became the ruler of all egypt, second only to pharaoh, you'll notice he had become much wiser, so even when he saw his brothers, he didnt reveal himself to them immediately. Had he been the way he was before, he'd have immediately blurted out "See! I told you this was going to happen!"

His experiences had matured him and given him an innate sense of responsibility.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:39 am  Admin

Exodus 4

1 Moses answered, “What if they do not believe me or listen to me and say, ‘The Lord did not appear to you’?”

2 Then the Lord said to him, “What is that in your hand?”

“A staff,” he replied.

3 The Lord said, “Throw it on the ground.”

Moses threw it on the ground and it became a snake, and he ran from it. 4 Then the Lord said to him, “Reach out your hand and take it by the tail.” So Moses reached out and took hold of the snake and it turned back into a staff in his hand. 5 “This,” said the Lord, “is so that they may believe that the Lord, the God of their fathers—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob—has appeared to you.”

i find it very interesting that the snake, which is a typical symbol of paganism, was used by God as a sign for Moses.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:39 am  Admin

Exodus 7

8 The Lord said to Moses and Aaron,

9 “When Pharaoh says to you, ‘Perform a miracle, ’ then say to Aaron, ‘Take your staff and throw it down before Pharaoh,’ and it will become a snake.”

10 So Moses and Aaron went to Pharaoh and did just as the Lord commanded. Aaron threw his staff down in front of Pharaoh and his officials, and it became a snake.

11 Pharaoh then summoned wise men and sorcerers, and the Egyptian magicians also did the same things by their secret arts:

12 Each one threw down his staff and it became a snake. But Aaron’s staff swallowed up their staffs.

13 Yet Pharaoh’s heart became hard and he would not listen to them, just as the Lord had said.

what did the snake symbolize for pharaoh, and what was its status in egypt?

now i remember the pharaoh's crown typically has a snake symbol in the middle of it.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am  Admin

quick background on snakes:

the hebrew word for serpent, means whisperer.

the difference betwwen a serpent and a snake is what i'm trying to study further.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:40 am  Admin

snake seems to be a lower designation for a serpent.

when serpent spoke to eve we do not know his physical position or location in the garden [was he above her, in the tree, equal with her or on the ground at her feet], but after the fall, he was reduced to crawling on the ground as/like a snake.

genesis 3

So the Lord God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,

“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:41 am  Admin

luke 21 :20b

Jerusalem will be trampled on by the Gentiles until the times of the Gentiles are fulfilled.

the times of the gentiles refers to a time when darkness will cover the land.

From a Christian perspective, this is a period when anti-christian powers will be in charge, together with all that comes therein.

Back to top Go down

luke 21:29

He told them this parable: “Look at the fig tree and all the trees.

30 When they sprout leaves, you can see for yourselves and know that summer is near.

31 Even so, when you see these things happening, you know that the kingdom of God is near.

32 “Truly I tell you, this generation will certainly not pass away until all these things have happened.

33 Heaven and earth will pass away, but my words will never pass away.

key word here is generation.

Back to top Go down

luke 10

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

28 “You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. “Do this and you will live.”

29 But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?”

30 In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead.

31 A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side.

32 So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side.

33 But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him.

34 He went to him and bandaged his wounds, pouring on oil and wine. Then he put the man on his own donkey, brought him to an inn and took care of him.

35 The next day he took out two denarii and gave them to the innkeeper. ‘Look after him,’ he said, ‘and when I return, I will reimburse you for any extra expense you may have.’

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:42 am  Admin

the little most of us know about the samaritans is they were one of the most despised people by the isrealites back then. And the feeling was mutual.

the lawyer no doubt would have been familiar with many victims of samaritans, and probably despised them as much as everybody else.

Jesus pointed out the humanity of the samaritan to him, as well as the inhumanity [or mistakes] of the other two who he probably identified with.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:42 am  Admin

On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”

26 “What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”

27 He answered, “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind’[c]; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’”

“Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.”

mercy is an attribute of God

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:43 am  Admin

Ps 30:1

i will exalt you Lord,

for thou has lifted me

above my enemies

Your banner over me is love.

Back to top Go down

To the end that my glory may sing praise to thee, and not be silent.

O Lord my God, I will give thanks unto thee for ever.

Back to top Go down

1 tim 4

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:44 am  Admin

But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

8 For bodily exercise profiteth little: but godliness is profitable unto all things, having promise of the life that now is, and of that which is to come.

9 This is a faithful saying and worthy of all acceptation.

10 For therefore we both labour and suffer reproach, because we trust in the living God, who is the Saviour of all men, specially of those that believe.

11 These things command and teach.

Back to top Go down

Take heed unto thyself, and unto the doctrine; continue in them: for in doing this thou shalt both save thyself, and them that hear thee.

Back to top Go down

exercise thyself unto godliness

refuse profane and old wives fables

pretty much self explanatory.

godliness is profitable unto all things.

if you disagree, good for you.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:45 am  Admin

rev 3

thou sayest, I am rich, and increased with goods, and have need of nothing; and knowest not that thou art wretched, and miserable, and poor, and blind, and Unclad:

18 I counsel thee to buy of me gold tried in the fire, that thou mayest be rich; and white raiment, that thou mayest be clothed, and that the shame of thy unclothedness do not appear; and anoint thine eyes with eyesalve, that thou mayest see.

anoint thine eyes with eyesalve that thou mayest see.

Back to top Go down

Post Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:47 am  Admin

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:17 pm  Admin

now, if your clothing is making others sin, modify it.

true, whoever will sin will still sin regardless, but if you are a leader in your congregation and you notice strange things going on there, open your eyes as the scripture says, and act accordingly.

whatever is not expedient, you can do without.

if wearing a coat will make some salivate over you, change your mode of dressing and break that link.

you are there not to appeal to the outer senses, but to the inner man.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:18 pm  Admin

Sex and the Christian

had a series about this last year, which kept being moved to sexuality section, i guess the mods werent comfortable with the subject matter, or my moniker posting on the subject matter.

However, I'm not that much of a stranger to sexuality section anyway. Used to spend some time there [others too] for reasons related to the brazenness on display, what a racket, certainly not for the faint of heart or immature christian. Please do not copy me btw. Some of these things are dangerous and will not help your faith.

in summary, will just say sex within christian guidelines, ie marriage, can be structured along the examples found in songs of solomon.

victorian era attitudes to sexuality are from centuries ago, when practically the whole world was the same way [african culture included].

however, its encouraged for the christian to do what they are comfortable doing, not what others [mostly anti-christian unbelievers] feel they should be comfortable doing.

there's way too much pokenosing and amebo gbeborun going on anyway.

if you need help in this area, christian based books abound on the subject.

may God guide us in Jesus name, amen.

Last edited by Admin on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:19 pm; edited 1 time in total

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:19 pm  Admin

Sex and the Christian II

I do not intend to dwell too long on this topic, but will add a few more words and move on.

Much of today's culture is sex oriented- sex is everywhere, and selling sex is considered the norm. Sex is sold through various means- p.orn, dressing, internet, suggestion, what have you.

Can a christian escape this constant barrage of sex being thrown at him or her? Not unless you move to a different planet or cut off all communication with the outside world.

Its up to you what you want to feed your mind on, ie if you want to focus ONLY on sex, or if you want to give the holy spirit a chance to purify your mind and deliver you from diverse lusts.

11 In the same way, count yourselves dead to sin but alive to God in Christ Jesus.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its evil desires.

13 Do not offer any part of yourself to sin as an instrument of wickedness, but rather offer yourselves to God as those who have been brought from death to life; and offer every part of yourself to him as an instrument of righteousness.

14 For sin shall no longer be your master, because you are not under the law, but under grace.

sex within marriage is not sin, but diverse lusts which expressly encourage things like fornication and adultery, is.

And, as in all things, remember satan's plan is to destroy you. Therefore, enjoying any pleasures which cut off communication with God, are all aiming towards this goal.

heb 11:25b

than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season;

the pleasures of sin are for a season, not forever. The consequences though, are forever.

All in all, the point here is we do not run as one beating the air but rather we discipline our bodies for a cause, whatever controls you, is your master. If sex controls you,then sex is your master. However, our master is supposed to be God.

heb 13

Marriage should be honored by all, and the marriage bed kept pure, for God will judge the adulterer and all the sexually immoral

oftentimes you find outsiders people eager to give solicited or unsolicited advice on how sex should be performed within a marriage. People with varying opinions, some christian, some anti-christian, some married, some unmarried, all seem to "know" exactly how others should have s.ex, and are very vocal in telling them so.

My opinion is, as i mentioned before, there is plenty of christian literature which discuss sex. The bible also discusses sex. Any advice you receive, should still be viewed within the context of the word of God, and likewise, within the context of what you want and are comfortable with, as a person. Combine these two factors, and proceed from there.

As i said, my opinion.

lastly, i have been in christian seminars where sex was discussed, including times when i was very young (as a teenager), and not once did I hear anybody mention the "sex is supposed to be dull and boring" allegation which is flying round these parts. As with most other imaginary boogeytales non-christians tend to come up with when thinking of their own fears, the myth is based on half truths, outright untruths, and/or joblessness or amebo.

If, however, you are frigid (most or some of us can identify with that), then find out the root of the problem, if its due to a medically treatable condition, inexperience or some other factor.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:20 pm  Admin

The House of the Lord

psalm 122:1

I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the Lord.

in an ideal world, going to worship is supposed to be a time of blessing, when you go to renew your strength and fellowship with other brethren.

in today's world, with the war on the churches and diverse antichrist spirits actively involved in church, going to fellowship is often fraught with difficulty, danger and warfare. Going to church [for some] becomes an exercise in seeing who has the most power to destroy what or who is there.

Its no secret that there are many types of spirits which follow people, some are constructive [aiming to build] while others are destructive [aiming to destroy].

if the number of destructive spirits dominates a church, the atmosphere will be one that drains and frustrates, instead of teaching and refreshing.

1 tim 3

These things write I unto thee, hoping to come unto thee shortly:

15 But if I tarry long, that thou mayest know how thou oughtest to behave thyself in the house of God, which is the church of the living God, the pillar and ground of the truth.

how are we supposed to behave ourselves in the house of God?

in a manner that reflects the fear of God. The fear of God is the beginning of wisdom.

1 tim 4

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times some shall depart from the faith, giving heed to seducing spirits, and doctrines of devils;

2 Speaking lies in hypocrisy; having their conscience seared with a hot iron;

now, the "christians" or backsliders being referred to in this verse, are characterized by these three things mentioned here, in addition to others.

1. They promote seducing spirits
2. they preach doctrines of devils [doctrines that promote satanic behaviour and spirit]
3. they speak lies with straight faces, having no conscience. This shows the holy spirit is not present in their lives or in anything they do. They are sold unto sin.

when these are present in a church, it's important to realize the kind of environment which is being operated in, there, and plan/pray accordingly.

Now the Spirit speaketh expressly, that in the latter times

pretty definite, imo.

clear description of what happens during the latter days, that believers might not be caught unawares.

1 pet 4

17 For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?

18 And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:21 pm  Admin

Church and location

REV 1 and 2
The mystery of the seven stars which thou sawest in my right hand, and the seven golden candlesticks. The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches: and the seven candlesticks which thou sawest are the seven churches.

Unto the angel of the church of Ephesus write

And unto the angel of the church in Smyrna write

And to the angel of the church in Pergamos write

And unto the angel of the church in Thyatira write

And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write

And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write

And unto the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write

the only thing i want to point out here is God named/addressed the churches by location, not necessarily denomination.

why location, and why to the angels of those churches instead of the church congregation/leadership?

because location has profound influence on a church. Location = the prevailing culture.

Back to top Go down

Post Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:22 pm  Admin

Why do some people find it so difficult to understand the bible?

for some, they seem to genuinely lack the ability to comprehend what the bible says. This can be due to many reasons, some of which are:

1. They are not used to religion. Such people, if interested, will have to make time out to study the bible.

2. They have reprobate minds. Sometimes, your lifestyle precludes you from understanding the word.

2 tim 3

these also resist the truth: men of corrupt minds, reprobate concerning the faith.

3. They are antichristian and antichrist and as such, lack a discerning spirit

2 tim 3

this know also, that in the last days perilous times shall come.

For men shall be lovers of their own selves, covetous, boasters, proud, blasphemers, disobedient to parents, unthankful, unholy,

Without natural affection, trucebreakers, false accusers, incontinent, fierce, despisers of those that are good,

Traitors, heady, highminded, lovers of pleasures more than lovers of God;

Having a form of godliness, but denying the power thereof: from such turn away.

For of this sort are they which creep into houses, and lead captive silly women laden with sins, led away with divers lusts,

Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth.

All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

4. They are afraid

some people are afraid of "becoming" what they consider "uncool" ie studying the bible too closely might lead to some revision of their accepted status and public image.

They might also have to face some aspects of themselves that they'd rather not. So, "why rock the boat" is the general attitude.

1 cor 13

For now we see in a mirror dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully

5.More on the status issue:

john 3

Now there was a Pharisee, a man named Nicodemus who was a member of the Jewish ruling council. 2 He came to Jesus at night and said, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher who has come from God. For no one could perform the signs you are doing if God were not with him.”

Nicodemus probably came secretly in order to avoid being seen by his colleagues.

john 19:38

Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jewish leaders

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum