Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Latest topics
» Bible Study
Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:26 pm by Admin

» So far......
Wed Feb 15, 2017 2:58 pm by Admin

» DreamAbode partners Lagos state ministry of housing on ‘Rent to own” scheme in making more youths landlords
Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:08 am by Admin

» Photo of the week
Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:55 am by Admin

» Great movie soundtracks
Tue Nov 29, 2016 3:44 pm by Admin

» Cake designs
Tue Nov 22, 2016 6:44 pm by Admin

» youtube karaoke
Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:16 pm by Admin

» Oldies Oldies Oldies
Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:25 pm by Admin

» Christian music
Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:23 pm by Admin

Navigation
 Portal
 DiscussionForums
 FAQ

November 2017
SunMonTueWedThuFriSat

Calendar Calendar

Shopmotion

Bible Study

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bible Study

will be transferring some bible study material here.

Question: Why did God talk about the fulfillment of Joseph’s destiny and not the process?

interesting question which requires some thought.

Joseph was a leader sent for a period of financial and economic crisis

what I find very interesting about the story of Joseph is the fact that he had something in him which others tried their best to stamp out. True, he did rub people the wrong way no matter what he did [from his brothers to potiphar's wife- the only person he didnt offend was the pharaoh, strangely enough].

however, there was a strong factor in him [dont know if it can be called his destiny], which kept on propelling him towards where he would be of maximum use, although he had to get there through despair, imprisonment, etc.

and obviously, the folks around him couldnt see this [not an excuse for anyone to have grandiose delusions though], and simply wanted him to be mundane. This was something he just couldnt do since even as a slave he was still chased and sexually harassed by potiphar's wife.[Although in her defence, we dont know if she routinely slept with random fellows and slaves. That's quite possible perhaps. But then why would potiphar be so upset?]

And even as a slave, he still rose to be the most trusted one in potiphar's household.Likewise even in jail he still became prominent due to what he had within him, ie his character or destiny i suppose. Which could be interpreted as an avenue for God's plan to manifest in his life.

Last edited by Admin on Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

Admin
Admin

http://lagosisland.forumotion.net

Back to top Go down

- Similar topics
Share this post on: Excite BookmarksDiggRedditDel.icio.usGoogleLiveSlashdotNetscapeTechnoratiStumbleUponNewsvineFurlYahooSmarking

Bible Study :: Comments

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:36 pm  Admin

compare with this:

luke 12

16 And he spake a parable unto them, saying, The ground of a certain rich man brought forth plentifully:

17 And he thought within himself, saying, What shall I do, because I have no room where to bestow my fruits?

18 And he said, This will I do: I will pull down my barns, and build greater; and there will I bestow all my fruits and my goods.

19 And I will say to my soul, Soul, thou hast much goods laid up for many years; take thine ease, eat, drink, and be merry.

20 But God said unto him, Thou fool, this night thy soul shall be required of thee: then whose shall those things be, which thou hast provided?

21 So is he that layeth up treasure for himself, and is not rich toward God.

what did this rich man fail to do?

he did not acknowledge or thank God for anything, he had abundance of wealth but no abundance in his soul.

he even referred to his soul, which was created by God, yet he acted as if God did not know him.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:37 pm  Admin

Joel 2: 17

Let the priests, who minister before the Lord,
weep between the portico and the altar.
Let them say, “Spare your people, Lord.
Do not make your inheritance an object of scorn,
a byword among the nations.
Why should they say among the peoples,
‘Where is their God?’”

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:39 pm  Admin

Then the Lord was jealous for his land
and took pity on his people.

Back to top Go down

A Child in a Manger

Luke 2

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

9 And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid.

10 And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people.

11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord.

12 And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger.

Back to top Go down

And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger

How could a baby swaddled and lying in a manger be considered a sign from God to people?

if that were the case, one would at least assume the baby would have a halo or glowing light surrounding it, doesnt seem to be the case here. The sign was not the flashing angels or the symphony and bright lights seen by the shepherds, rather it was just a baby in a manger. To understand this sign better, one has to look at the circumstances surrounding the event.

1. The angels appeared to shepherds out in the fields tending their sheep, not the people in the towns and cities.

Throwback to Abel, who was a shepherd and brought an acceptable offering to God. The later shepherds are witnesses for this time, since the voice of Abel's blood cries to God from the ground [ie in remembrance]. Also foreshadowing Jesus death and resurrection.

2. Jesus was born among livestock [animals]. And the firstborn, unlike previously in the genesis account, where cain the farmer preceded the shepherd. And gave his offering first [fruit of the ground, symbolic of the disobedience in the garden of eden and man's fall/rebellion], while abel gave his own acceptable offering last, thus it did not cover cain's initial one.

3. A manger is not really an attractive place at the best of times, and certainly not for a baby. Mangers are feeding troughs where animals eat and drink. A sign consisting of a baby swaddled and in a manger , shows a child of great importance (swaddling shows care by the mother or mother figure) who is in the poorest of circumstances. The shepherds may be expected to see something more wonderful like a halo or angels visibly surrounding the boy, but this contradiction shows Jesus whose mission will be equally polarizing.

4. Christ is the Great Shepherd and we are his sheep.

He is also the Good Shepherd.

And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night.

@ bolded, the shepherds were watching their flocks at night, protecting them from predators which would harm them under the cover of darkness.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:40 pm  Admin

The question of birthdays and other occasions

what should be a christian's attitude to birthdays and other commemorative events such as christmas, easter, etc, which are observed by orthodox churches but considered to be of pagan origin by some schools of thought?

Back to top Go down

in bible times, birthdays were typically celebrated by kings and the monarchy. Thus, while being an occasion of celebration for some people, those who incurred the monarch's disppleasure, would also be remembered on that day

in the old and new testaments, both instances in which birthdays were mentioned, were accompanied by negativity. This is the reason why some schools of thought consider birthdays unnecessary for christians.

Back to top Go down

The problem which now arises is the issue of 'killjoy' whereby those who monitor times and dates, choose particular occasions to strike.

this mindset has an occultic basis.

Back to top Go down

More on Christmas, Birthdays and other occasions

Gen 1:

14 And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years

15 And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.

16 And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.

God established the second sets or phases of light, to mark signs, seasons, and time.

this would be the sun, moon and stars, which are all markers of time and which humans use as indicators of time and age. Any celebrations and seasons are directly tied to these because they are our only indicators of time.

the signs in the stars were what the shepherds saw originally before they were redirected to the human child in the manger, likewise the magi were observing the stars for signs and this led them to Christ.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 pm  Admin

Prov 16:7. A case study.

When a man's ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

This verse has often been quoted as an explanation [or reason] for why many bible believing Christians, undergo what seems to be relentless persecution and attacks by enemies within and without. He felt the fault lay with the person being attacked, since if his ways were pleasing to God, his enemies would be at peace with him. Meaning God is displeased with his ways and lifestyle, therefore his enemies were given free rein by God, to deal with him, as a punishment.

Now, is this the right [or only] way to view this verse?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:43 pm  Admin

Going back a little, to the preceding verse in that chapter, here's what it says:

6 By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

then the verse in question, verse 7:

When a man's ways please the Lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.

By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

verse 6 [mercy and truth], refers to "purging iniquity". So as to stay on track with this particular topic, I wont go into detail on what purging iniquity entails, suffice it to say, a general assumption would be the iniquity is being purged from a christian [ie someone serving God]. That may be true [given the fact that there are christian backsliders and not every christian is holy/spiritual].

However, looking at the remaining part of verse 6, it specifically says, "by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil". To me, i think the people being referred to in that verse are non-christians- people who do not know God, pagans, idol worshipers, etc.

Departing from evil implies they practice evil constantly, it is part and parcel of their lives and interaction. What is evil? The dictionary definition describes evil as profound malevolence, or causing harm to another person for reasons linked to spiritual things.

For some, evil is a way of life, not an assumed option.

Thus, this leads us to the next verse which started this topic- "when a man's ways please the lord, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him".

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:44 pm  Admin

So, we have this scenario: the scales are uneven, not even. There is evil which is a way of life, and which does not have to be provoked before it unleashes its fury on a human being. If at all it is, most times the provocation is simply an excuse which the "provoked person" has been waiting for to use as a reason for doing what has been planned all along.

Now, who is "a man" whose ways have "pleased the lord"? It most likely is the christian we assume? But what if this verse applies also to the "wicked" who most times are also being driven by enemies? Do we have any instances in the bible where someone who is considered evil, or wicked, was still called righteous due to his/her works.

Look at this verse :

The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.

James 5:16.

Followed by the example of Elias (Elijah), who shut up the heavens and prevented it from raining for three years. During that period of drought, both friends and enemies of Elijah suffered.

We christians often fail to realize that being christian does not mean our faith does not make us automatic enemies to others. This is in addition to familial and generational/ancestral enmities acquired at birth. The hardship experienced by the enemies of Elijah as a result of his withholding the rain, would not necessarily translate into goodwill for him. Elijah himself actually experienced much hardship and near starvation when the brook he was relying on for sustenance, dried up in the same drought he had caused.

So, he was in the same situation as his foes even though he had had to demonstrate the power of God to them.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:44 pm  Admin

Therefore, let us assume Proverbs 16 :7 is referring to "evil" people, ie enemies of God. People who are not bible believing christians, and who do not fear God.

That is why it is their "ways" that God is looking at for now, their "heart" is not yet his.

Someone who does not know God, and who has no knowledge/relationship with Christ, will feel it is works alone which matter. Therefore their ways are what's used to assess them in the meantime, since they do not have the knowledge of Christ. Pending their reflecting on the gospel and making a decision.

When the "enemies" (in this case the children of God) of an evil (ie ungodly) person are at peace with him, s/he will have peace.

What ways are the christians looking at?

verse 6 again:

By mercy and truth iniquity is purged: and by the fear of the Lord men depart from evil.

mercy, truth, leading to the fear of the lord.

Iniquity is purged, men depart from evil.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:45 pm  Admin

The Story of Cain

Genesis 4

4 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

17 Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch

“25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.

two things to note here:

1. In the first passage, Eve says "I have gotten a man from the lord" when she was celebrating the birth of Cain.

In the second one, her words are : "God hath appointed for me another seed", when she had Seth.

Clearly, we see the difference in her perspective by the time she had Seth. Contrast the words "I have gotten" with "God hath appointed for me", the former shows she still has some of the mindset which led her to listen to the serpent and eat the forbidden fruit in the garden.

The lies told by the serpent were: “Did God actually say, ‘You shall not eat of any tree in the garden’?” “You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil.”

The woman responded:

“We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, ‘You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.’”

now, why did the serpent make so much use of the words "you"? It could have also phrased its question this way: "Did God say 'Do not eat the fruit'". Using the word "you" in that manner (and so liberally too), was the method he used to entice or trap eve into questioning God's wisdom and taking matters into her own hands instead-the illusion of power.

Eve's response to the serpent was "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden". She had already fallen into the trap, by making herself the centre of the universe. Satan said "You", and she answered by agreeing with him and responding with "We".

Lets imagine Eve had answered "God told us not to eat from a particular tree", would things have been different, at least for a while? Her phrasing would have affirmed her submission to God's leading (and her husband's own) and possibly sent satan back to the drawing board to source for another approach.

Contrast with Jesus responses to the devil when he was tempted:

Matthew 4:
http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Matthew+4:1-11

10 Then Jesus said to him, “Be gone, Satan! For it is written, “‘You shall worship the Lord your God and him only shall you serve.’”

11 Then the devil left him

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:46 pm  Admin

Going back to genesis 2, these are God's exact words concerning that tree:

15 The Lord God took the man and put him in the garden of Eden to work it and keep it.

16 And the Lord God commanded the man, saying, “You may surely eat of every tree of the garden,

17 but of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat of it you shall surely die.”

by phrasing its lies using the same terminology God used when giving instructions to adam, the serpent was cunningly and secretly attempting to usurp authority in the garden. It presented a fake authority to Eve, making her out to be the decision maker even though the initial order was for Adam and not her. As pointed out earlier, she fell into the trap, or fell for the trick. God was her parent, but she did not consult God and neither did she consult adam before deciding to eat the fruit. She took the decision on her own, believing it was within her right and authority to do so, possibly she was unaware of the farther reaching consequences. She found out by the time she had her son Seth.

lastly (for this point), lets view adam's words after God presented him with Eve:

“This at last is bone of my bones
and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called Woman,
because she was taken out of Man.”

why did he not say "You are the bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh"? and "You shall be called woman because you were taken out of me (or man)"?

because, among other things, he looked at the general picture, not just the person of Eve.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:47 pm  Admin

Gen 4

4 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.

17 Cain knew his wife, and she conceived and bore Enoch

“25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.

2. [ie 2nd thing to note]:

the first two verses describe "expected" conceptions, sort of like the parents (or mothers) were pleased they now had men to continue their line and battles. Cain followed his mother's tradition, hence his wife also "conceived" his firstborn by their own effort, they were still angry at God. Eve had just been sent out of the garden for disobedience, after which she had Cain, likewise Cain had his child after he had been forced to become a wanderer for the same reason, sharing in his parents' sin. No sign of repentance in either of them.

In the third (verse 25), Eve was humble, thus there is no mention of "she conceived", instead, we see her understanding or wisdom has grown through her choice of words: the child is a seed, and through him, men would begin to call on the Lord.

She had initially considered Cain the man who would vindicate her struggle, she didnt initially realize the battle would not be to the strong but rather the pure in heart. Her decision to submit to God finally, after such a long struggle and rebellion against him, had begun to yield fruit.

Back to top Go down

Was there a curse on the woman?

Examining Genesis 3, The Fall of Man

the question was asked in a recent thread, of why christian marriages are feeling the effect of "adam's being cursed" or "eve's curse", as the case may be. Women in particular were referenced.

Back to top Go down

God's judgement on Adam and Eve

Gen 3

14 And the Lord God said unto the serpent, Because thou hast done this, thou art cursed above all cattle, and above every beast of the field; upon thy belly shalt thou go, and dust shalt thou eat all the days of thy life:

15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.

16 Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee.

17 And unto Adam he said, Because thou hast hearkened unto the voice of thy wife, and hast eaten of the tree, of which I commanded thee, saying, Thou shalt not eat of it: cursed is the ground for thy sake; in sorrow shalt thou eat of it all the days of thy life;

18 Thorns also and thistles shall it bring forth to thee; and thou shalt eat the herb of the field;

19 In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return.

20 And Adam called his wife's name Eve; because she was the mother of all living.

There are two curses mentioned in the passage:

1. The serpent was cursed

2. The ground was cursed.

No curses are mentioned directly for the man and the woman.

However, they were to experience greatly increased hardship and pain as a result of their disobedience to God.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 pm  Admin

Unto the woman he said, I will greatly multiply thy sorrow and thy conception; in sorrow thou shalt bring forth children; and thy desire shall be to thy husband, and he shall rule over thee
I previously discussed eve's transformation from when she had cain, to the time she had seth, her last son. She learnt a lot in that period in between.

her husband ruling over her, is a reference to the fact that as a result of the fall, eve became subject to her husband, prior to this, she was his helper, now she was under him as a subject and he, her ruler.

for better clarity, look at Ephesians 5:22-33

Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands as you do to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife as Christ is the head of the church, his body, of which he is the Savior. Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands in everything.

Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body, just as Christ does the church— for we are members of his body.

“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh.”This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church. However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband.

Genesis 2

Now the Lord God had formed out of the ground all the wild animals and all the birds in the sky. He brought them to the man to see what he would name them; and whatever the man called each living creature, that was its name. So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds in the sky and all the wild animals.

But for Adam no suitable helper was found. So the Lord God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs and then closed up the place with flesh. Then the Lord God made a woman from the rib he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man.

The man said,

“This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh;
she shall be called ‘woman,’ for she was taken out of man.”

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:48 pm  Admin

The Role of Money in the World

Who owns money, or the concept of money?

Where did money originate from?

Is the world's wealth controlled by God or satan?

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:49 pm  Admin

to understand the role and function of money in the world, you must first realize money is assigned to nations. Individuals can also represent nations, or control the money in a nation.

when did people first begin to use money?

we are told people first operated a trade by barter system before the advent of money. They exchanged goods directly without using a medium of exchange ie hard currency.

Isaiah 55:

1 Come, everyone who thirsts,
come to the waters;
and he who has no money,
come, buy and eat!
Come, buy wine and milk
without money and without price.

how can you buy without money and without price? The items are not being given as gifts or at a food bank/soup kitchen- since the passage still says "buy".

So what is the exchange medium being used to purchase these items? Why do they have no price?

verse 2:

2 Wherefore do ye spend money for that which is not bread? and your labour for that which satisfieth not?

Back to top Go down

the initial references to money in the bible, were connected to slavery ie the purchase of a slave. (wiki)

Any slave purchased by Abram, was to be circumcised in order to be covered by his (Abram's) covenant with God.

an interesting thing to note here is money was divided into two types: Abram's own money, and "the money of the stranger". No idea yet what the "money of the stranger" is supposed to be.

Genesis 17:

23: all that were bought with his money

27: bought with money of the stranger

Back to top Go down

this is not to say, however that money was not used prior to Abraham's time. It had been around long before then, but not covenanted with God.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:50 pm  Admin

Who owns money, or the concept of money?

Matthew 6:

24 Ye cannot serve God and mammon.

here is a "this or that" situation. It implies serving God and mammon are mutually exclusive, meaning you cant do both things together at once, you have to choose one or the other.

Is money a deity to be worshipped? Jesus said money (or serving money) requires a type of commitment or dedication which undercuts a believer's service to God. It does not mean money is bad in itself, however, serving money is a choice, just like serving God is also a choice which a believer decides whether or not to make.

So, who actually owns money? If God created all things (including money), then He should be the owner of all money. However, to cut a long story short, there is a phenomenon known as "the Prince of this world", who is firmly in charge of everything pertaining to it, including commerce and the cash flow. Serving mammon (the created), means you are serving this prince who usurped authority and diverted it to himself.

The modern concept of money, originated in the garden when adam and eve took something for nothing, eating the fruit for benefits which were not tangibly defined.

Back to top Go down

Post on Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:50 pm  Admin

Where did money originate from?

money has been around for as long as humans. Any medium of exchange for goods and services is regarded as money. Its origins can be researched via various media which are available for that purpose.

In the bible, money is initially openly linked to the purchase of slaves (will correct if necessary). Its also possible money became a needed medium of exchange due to the ground being cursed after the fall. Yielding thistles and thorns and not giving up her strength as before. So, money was used to attempt to make up for that imbalance or shortfall.

Is the world's wealth controlled by God or satan?

the world's wealth is controlled by the prince of this world.

Back to top Go down

Post   Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum